What is a Coding Essential?
Just the thought of learning to code can be intimidating. The word code is mysterious by definition. It implies a technical form of communication that computers – not humans – are meant to understand.
One way many people start learning to code is by picking a popular programming language and jumping in head first with no direction. This could take the form of an online coding course, a tutorial project, or a random book purchase on a specific topic.
Rarely do prospective developers start with a roadmap – a bird's eye view of the coding world that outlines a set of relevant programming concepts, languages, and tools that almost 100% of developers use every day.
In this book, I propose such a roadmap by discussing 14 coding essentials – each being a programming concept, language, or tool – that I believe is critical to at least know exists at the start of your coding journey.
Who is this book for?
- New developers that are excited and/or intimidated by the idea of learning to code
- Intermediate developers who want to fill in the gaps
- Professionals of any age considering a career change into technology and software development
- Non-technical career employees who interface with developers and want to enhance their knowledge
- Kids who are interested in computers and programming
- Anyone who wants to learn coding but doesn't know where to start